Sunday, July 29, 2007

Unemployment

I know I probably should be working on my resume, or possibly networking but I just cannot bring myself to focus. Ahhh, yes networking............I hate that word. It is a really sucky word. Who in the hell wants to "network"? It sounds so grown up - so damn formal. It sounds like it you must say it with an air of an accent like Thurston Howel the Third from Gilligan's Island. "Yes, I do believe I will go network with the gents down at the club." Gag!


Today is what, my official 8th day of unemployment. But really, these first days don't count since I was really on vacation - and getting paid as my last week of work. Since tomorrow is Monday, I suppose I really should call the outplacement service and set up an appointment to go speak with them. I did manage to take my "personality and professional assement". I cannot wait to see what the results are. I can probably guess it will say something like Jodi doesn't play well with others and finds stupid people to be a waste of her time. I further suppose I will be sitting at the food court at the mall meeting with the guy assigned to me as we sip Starbucks coffee and I pretend to give a shit about what he thinks of me and what his idiotic test has to say. But a girl has got to get a job to pay for all these ponies, so I will go. And I will smile. And I will try my best to pretend I am excited about this awesome change in my life. Fuck that. I worked for the same company for 13 years. It was comfortable. I like comfortable. I own comfortable shoes, I wear pants with lycra so they strech and are comfortable around my love handles. I don't find this change so comfortable right now. I thought I would. I have been telling myself it will be great. Yeah, until it really happened. So now I am enrolled in community college trying to finish a degree I should have finished 15 years ago while I look for a job to pay the bills. Ain't being an adult just grand.

1 comment:

Paige said...

I was afraid of this--that you would feel wonky when it actually started. I would too, even though in theory, time to hang out sounds awesome.

You will have something great before you know it, and aren't you consulting for the previous for a bit?