Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Sucker or Savior? You be the judge.

Today is the day that I either:
1. Became a sucker
2. Did a good deed

I'd like to hope that it is #2. This afternoon I was at the gas station, finishing up pumping my gas, when I heard an "excuse me". I turned to see an average looking man in his 50's. He proceeded to tell me that he is driving his wife, who is disabled, to Columbia, Missouri. Her mother, who is in her 80's, just had a heart attack and they needed to get to the hoptital. I turned to the area he was gesturing to and saw a very heavy women (okay, she was FAT) sitting in an old chevy. He continued to tell me that he stopped at several churches to ask for assistance in getting his wife to see her dying mother, but they wouldn't help him. He asked me if I believed that they wouldn't help him. He said he couldn't understand it - that churches were supposed to help - but they wouldn't. I told him I had a few bucks to spare and gave him $10. But I looked him straight in the eye and told him that I never believed in Church, but I do belive in God and good deeds. I told him that I also believe that there is a hell and that if he is taking my $10 to scam me then he will most likely be burning in that hell. He took the money with some apprehension, thanked me and then walked over to the gas pump and pumped his gas. The more I think about it, the more I think I am a sucker. Oh well, it was part of the unemployment check I got on Friday anyway - so it really wasn't my money for very long anyway. LOL

3 comments:

Paige said...

But he DID put it in the gas tank---that was something.

You did good

J Kane said...

Funny, Scott Adams blogged the same thing 2 weeks ago. Must be the newest scam. I pity the sucker who hits me up at the gas pump. He'll be pushing.

Looks good
Jo

Jodi said...

Thanks, I'll go look at Scott's blog. I love him. I figured I was the sucker. But just in case it was real, I didn't want to feel guilty. $10 isn't going to break me - yet anyway.